Friday, May 23, 2008

Operations on the cheap

My current position puts me back into the world of tech ops, for lack of a better description. I'm primarily responsible for data center operations and infrastructure. It's not a bad gig, but as one might expect, it shifts the focus.

I have the omnipresent mandate of running the show on the cheap. This, of course, should be an anti-surprise for anyone in either a startup or a smart company. Waste is always wasteful even if you can afford it. Hint: you can never afford it.

Given this most recent brush with corporate poverty (which I fully support and feel is one of the things that keeps us honest about what is really necessary) I feel like I need to write something up on what has worked, in my experience. Maybe it's time for motivation.

No comments: